How to Install Custom Fit Pelmets Guide
At Blinds Downunder we have explanation videos on how to install your selected custom fit Pelmets.
Click the links on our How to install Pelmets page for detailed guide, also in conjunction with our written instructions below on how to install and select fixings
Items Required to install your Custom Fit Pelmets
- Pencil to mark bracket holes in fixing position.
- Drill with selected size drill bit for pilot holes (Test pilot hole size is correct on sample material. We suggest testing one masonry hole is correct for Green plugs prior to drilling all holes) You may require different drill bits depending on different materials. Consult your qualified local hardware for further assistance if required.
- Phillips head screwdriver or Phillips head drill attachment, whichever is preferred.
- Fixing screws for brackets. (Note*: Screws are not provided by Blinds Downunder, due to the different nature with fixing Brackets to different materials.) As a rough guide we recommend;
- 40mm x 7 gauge\Timber screws for screwing MDF architraves
- 20mm x 7 gauge\ Timber screws for internal recess fit, timber or MDF reveals and child safety tension devices.
- 6 gauge self-tapping screws for aluminium or steel fixings
- We do not recommend fixing brackets directly to plasterboard only. If you choose to proceed with this option, toggle bolts or plaster plugs, are sometimes recommended by your qualified local hardware store, as a last resort for fixing brackets. The hardware store will most likely recommend the highest load bearing capacity plugs and check if screws fit through bracket holes. Blinds Downunder only recommends fixing to solid substrates behind plaster ie; Timber noggins, Timber/steel lintels or Timber or steel studs.
- Green Plugs and appropriate screws for masonry fixing, as guided by qualified local hardware store.
You may require additional assistant to help with the install of long Pelmets.
We recommend if you are unsure, that you take photos of install area and discuss with your qualified local hardware store for further detailed advice regarding fixing options. Blinds Downunder takes no responsibility for poor bracket fixing or damage caused by incorrect installations.
How to Install your Custom Fit Pelmets
- Once desired fixing has been chosen and purchased from qualified local hardware store.
- Place bracket in desired position on face fit or recess fit and mark holes using pencil.
- Drill Pilot holes based on pencil marks for desired bracket position.
- Place brackets in desired position and complete fastening desired fixing until complete. Place hand on bracket and apply gentle pressure to test adequate fixing.
- For bonded Pelmet place bonded pelmet on brackets and apply top fixing.
- On Pelmet installation page you will find guides on how to install each pelmet within the Blindware Range. Install Roller blinds prior to fitting pelmets. Bonded pelmets require L brackets to be installed to solid fixing on wall first and then top fixing screwed to top of internal pelmet. It maybe eaiser to mark and pre drill hole in top, so you can use a had screwdriver to tighten screw. Be mindfull not to drill all the way through top of pelmet.
- Installing Roller Blind, Install Pin end of Roller blind at selected end of bracket. The bracket has a hole that the pin sits in. The pin end sits opposite to the selected blind control side.
- Apply light horizontal pressure to pin end to allow for control side of blind to fit inside brackets. Lift the control end and align hooks with two slot holes on bracket. Gently pull control end down, making sure control end is seated in bracket. Ensure chain is facing down. With double roller blinds, install chord diverter. Ensure chord is seated in chord diverter prior to installing pelmets.
- Finally: Secure the ball chain off to the wall or inside of the reveal with a Child Safety Device to comply with the Australian Child Safety Regulations. All blinds require warning labels and our installer labels to be permanently installed. These guidelines need to be followed for child safety compliance. Refer to our child safety page, ACCC guidelines and downloads. These standards are required on all chorded blind installs. By purchasing our product, you agree to comply with ACCC guidelines on all blinds supplied by Blinds Downunder.